Things to remember | Finding a GP | Specialists | Allied health professionalsOther health services | Where to get helpHow we can help | Download PDF

Things to remember

  • There are many health professionals who can help you manage your condition
  • It’s important to understand their specific roles and what they can do for you

One of the best things you can do to manage your musculoskeletal condition (e.g. arthritis, back pain, fibromyalgia) is to have a reliable, supportive team around you. This will include family, friends and health professionals.

There are a range of health professionals who can work with you to manage your condition. You may see them on an ongoing basis, or only when you need them.

To find a specific type of health professional, below is a list of the peak bodies that provide up-to-date lists of their members or accredited practitioners.

You can also contact our MSK Help Line weekdays on 1800 263 265 or email for information and support.

Finding a general practitioner (GP)

Talk to family, friends and neighbours for information about GPs in your area. The Royal Australian College of General Practitioners has some useful information on finding a GP.

You can also access the Australian Government healthdirect website to find a GP. In the Services section, select GP. You then have a number of preferences you can choose – for example bulk billing, accessible parking – and then you enter your location. You’ll be provided with the details of GPs who match these details.


You’ll need a referral from your doctor to see any of the specialists listed here.

  • Rheumatologists are doctors who specialise in diagnosing and treating problems of the joints, immune system and bones (e.g. rheumatoid arthritis).
    Find a rheumatologist – Australian Rheumatology Association
  • Endocrinologists are doctors who specialise in diagnosing and treating problems relating to hormones (e.g. diabetes, osteoporosis).
    Find an endocrinologist – Endocrine Society of Australia
  • Orthopaedic surgeons are surgeons who specialise in the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of disorders of the bones, joints, ligaments, tendons and muscles.
    Find an orthopaedic surgeon – Australian Orthopaedic Association
  • Psychiatrists are medical doctors who specialise in diagnosing and treating mental illness.
    Find a psychiatrist – The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists
  • Sport and exercise physicians are doctors who specialise in the diagnosis and management of musculoskeletal injuries and issues including osteoarthritis and other chronic diseases with a specific expertise in exercise prescription.
    Find a sport and exercise physician – Australasian College of Sport and Exercise Physicians

Allied health professionals

  • Counsellors are trained to promote mental health and wellbeing, help you develop self-understanding and make changes in your life. Counselling may be short term, long term, or over a lifetime, according to your needs.
    Find a counsellor – Australian Counselling Association
  • Dietitians provide information and advice on food and nutrition. They can develop a healthy eating plan for you, and help ensure your diet’s as healthy as possible.
    Find a dietitian – Dietitians Association of Australia
  • Exercise physiologists (EP) will help to improve your health and fitness through exercise programs tailored to your specific needs as well as providing support to live a healthy lifestyle.
    Find an EP – Exercise and Sports Science Australia
  • Hand therapists are OTs or physios who have extra training and can help you in the treatment of conditions relating to your hands, wrists and elbows.
    Find a hand therapist – Australian Hand Therapy Association
  • Occupational therapists (OT) help you learn better ways to do everyday activities such as bathing, dressing, cooking, working, eating or driving. They can also provide information on aids and equipment to make everyday jobs easier.
    Find an OT – Occupational Therapy Australia
  • Physiotherapists use physical means (e.g. exercise, massage, heat and cold) as well as education and advice to help keep you moving and functioning as well as possible. They can also show you pain relief techniques and design an individual exercise program for you.
    Find a physio – Australian Physiotherapy Association
  • Podiatrists assess, diagnose and treat foot and lower limb problems, such as skin and nail problems, foot and ankle injuries, foot problems related to health conditions and problems with walking. They can also provide advice about appropriate footwear.
    Find a podiatrist – Australian Podiatry Association
  • Psychologists are mental health professionals who can help you if you’re experiencing anxiety, depression, stressful life events or any other mental health difficulty.
    Find a psychologist – Australian Psychological Society
  • Social workers are health professionals who help people in times of crisis. They can provide you with practical support, counselling, information and emotional support.
    Find a social worker – Australian Association of Social Workers

Other health services

For other health services such as dentists, pharmacy, optometrists, dermatologists and more, talk with family and friends for information and advice on services they recommend.

Or visit the healthdirect website, select the service you need and add your location.

Where to get help

  • Your doctor
  • Musculoskeletal Australia
    National Arthritis and Back Pain+ Help Line 1800 263 265

How we can help

Call our Help Line and speak to nurses. Phone 1800 263 265 or email

We can help you find out more about :

Download this information sheet (PDF).

musculoskeletal health australia

Musculoskeletal Health Australia (or MHA) is the consumer organisation working with, and advocating on behalf of, people with arthritis, osteoporosis, back pain, gout and over 150 other musculoskeletal conditions.

Useful Links

Recent Posts

Copyright by Musculoskeletal Health Australia 2024. All rights reserved

ABN: 26 811 336 442ACN: 607 996 921